United Airlines - Worst Christmas ever due to overseklingand and unsatisfied employees
Me, my wife and my 7 year old daughter live in Brazil. We planned, in much advance, a nice trip to US and Canada. We spent the first 5 days in New york and than 5 days in Ottawa where my older son lives. This nice trip would end in Breckenridge Colorado. Friends and family would dinner together and children would enjoy the happiness. ing with us the gifts bought in New York. We were bringTickets from Brazil to US were by Delta and tickets to Canada and a back from Canada By United/air canada. I never had any trouble with delta airlines. See what happened:
1) The tickets to go from Ottawa to Denver were bought on September 2014, payed 90 days in advance. Despite that we could not board due to overbooking or overselling.
2) I did the internet check-in the night before departure. No seat numbers were available or designed. No special note or warning given by the company. This was not new to me because the last 4 times I flied by Air Canada no seats could be available by internet check-in. Even after airport check-in nothing was told to us (except the advise that someone at the boarding area would call us and designate seats). In summary we would never imagine that there could be a possibility of not getting that plane.
3) We arrived at Ottawa airport early, 2 and a half hours in advance. Line was not that big. We did luggage check in 2 hours in advance and at this time were told someone would call our name at the boarding area and arrange seat numbers together. We waited patiently. It caught my attention that one United guy kept running from one area to the other. Everybody got in except us.
4) Five minutes before the plane departure that same employee told us that we could not fly. We were victim of overselling. There were no seats available for us. He was very upset and told us there would be a 300 dollars voucher for each of us. I told him I have never used united voucher and I do not plan to travel United ever again. I Told him I can not use this voucher in Brazil and my vacations are only on December of every year. He than offered a 500 voucher for each of us and explained he was very sorry to ruin our vacation. He than explained that United now has this kind of policy and overselling seats are becoming common. he also said that there are severe United employee deficits in Canada.
5)The employee searched for flights arriving in Denver before 6:30 pm. The then concluded that there was only one option... We had to hurry and sign papers without any time to read. He said "you have to sign or you will never get to Denver today". He offered us no choice. We had to sign a agreement paper "voluntarily" accepting the voucher. My wife refused but we were late... the other flight departure had begun.We signed the agreement papers because we really needed to get to Denver before 6:30 PM.
6) We then ran to get the Toronto and Cleveland flights. At the end those flights to Denver became a nightmare due to several issues:
6a)A Small aircraft,
6b)One lost baggage (the baggage with underwear and medications and some gifts,
6c)One flight delay
6d)A very procrastinator and bad humored guy that works at at Denver United luggage claim.
Employees in Cleveland said that some of the problems are related to company policies: in Ottawa United employees were fired and company is paying 6 dollar per hour to other airline people to do the job. Some complained a lot about the overbooking overselling policy.
I taped and took pictures of many things. I obvinously lost the Christmas dinner. We arrived Breckenridge only after midnight. The underwear clothes and bath stuff, medications and electronic toys were in the lost luggage.
I called 3 different 1800 United numbers. I did twice the online complaint. Even thousands of dollars can not pay the terrible Christmas eve We had.
Right now I do not want the 3three vouchers... I prefer a direct refund. Vouchers are useless to me, specially because I hate United Airlines. service.
Reason of review: Poor customer service.
Monetary Loss: $1500.
Preferred solution: Full refund.
I didn't like: Lack of humane treatment, Lack of response.