2.6
Level of Comfort

I booked the economy fare for a quick trip.I read the rules and saw that I could not bring a full size carryon bag; everything would have to fit under the seat.

This was fine, I would not be able to carryon or handle checked luggage anyway because of recent shoulder surgery. I shipped my things via UPS to my destination. I had no problems from CVG to ORD. The problem was when I got to ORD for the return trip.

When I got to the airport they would not give me a boarding pass to get through security because I had a small purse AND a 13" laptop case (see pictures). They interpreted the rule as only 1 carryon which was my purse. I brought both of them from CVG to ORD with no problem but in ORD I could not take the laptop. My purse was considered my 1 bag.

I talked to 2 people and they both refused me. I tried to get them to let me take it to the gate for their checking but was refused that also. I could not check the laptop in the hold because it was a flimsy case that would not take the beating of the conveyor belt and it had a lithium battery. I had to leave my laptop with a friend to express ship to me at a great cost.

I found this whole incident totally outrageous and unacceptable.They should not let people get through half of their trip and THEN enforce some policy AND they should make this clear when buying the ticket that a purse is considered your carryon.

Review about: United Airlines Baggage Policy.

Preferred solution: Acknowledgement that they made a mistake..

Had an Experience with United Airlines?

Comments

The rules are clear that you can only bring ONE small item unless you are a Premier member, as stated below. You obviously didn't read the rules. The person who made the mistake was the one who let you on the first flight with two items.

Another who thinks rules don't apply.

"*** have purchased Basic Economy, you will only be allowed one small personal item, such as a shoulder bag, purse or laptop bag, unless you are a Premier"

I just read the rules, here they are.Are you one of these premier members?

Just because one side of a trip let you slide doesn't mean the other end will.They may have done it because you gave them some kind of song and dance and they didn't want to be bothered or they were just plain busy.